The Facilities Manager reports to the Director of Operations and supports her/him in all work relating to Rectification and renovation project management, owns the overview of UWC facilities management.
We seek an enthusiastic individual who enjoys working with students, parents and staff, and who possesses good communications skills (both verbal and written).
Demands of the position
The Facilities Manager has a background in civil or mechanical engineering and has experience in project management. In addition the successful candidate will possess the following:
- A Bachelor’s degree or above, major in electrical & mechanical engineering field is preferred.
- Solid Knowledge of local and international safety standards, understanding of MEP building systems or ISO9000 system will be a plus.
- Minimum 8 years’ experience in facilities management and project management.
- Effective communicator in English and Chinese.
- Experience managing contractors and process driven.
- Ability to handle pressure and unexpected circumstances, while maintain strong quality delivery.
- Ability to motivate, direct, and train people and collaborate and interact with others effectively and productively.
- Demonstrate strong leadership to wider team.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Review and comment on the detailed project work plans whenever possible, as developed by the construction project manager or other parties.
- Identify the elements of project design and construction likely to give rise to disputes and complaints, and advise on pre-empting or correcting these elements as soon as possible. Ensure construction activities are progressing according to predetermined schedule.
- Help perform project accounting functions including monitoring the budget, tracking expenses and making recommendations for minimizing exposure and risk for projects, as appropriate.
- Establish a quality monitoring plan, ensure that all materials and fittings used in the construction are of the quality ordered.
- Attend all relevant meetings as scheduled and conducted by the primary parties involved and with sub-teams.
- Monitor the coordination of the efforts of all parties involved in the project, including the architects, consultants, contractors, sub-contractors and labourers.
- Communicate effectively with the contractors responsible for completing various phases of the project.
- Inspect construction sites regularly to play decent supervision role.
- Maintain strict adherence to the budgetary guidelines, safety standards and national regulations.
- Ensure project documents are complete and that a full set of as-built drawings and documents are retained for the School.
- Planning, scheduling and overseeing routine preventative maintenance tasks on roofs, HVAC, and water equipment.
- Inspect campus facilities to ensure that they are suitable for safe operations, and maintained in an attractive and clean condition.
- Coordinate and/or lead staff training to improve work quality, ensure safety, or ensure compliance with country regulations.
- Solve any possible disputes raised when working with contractors or among the project team, to assure the project to be done according to plan and protect the rights of the school.
- Work as an action owner, to run annual safety/ facility risk assessment, and provide advise to school management team.
UWC (United World Colleges) is a global education movement that makes education a force to unite people, nations and cultures for peace and a sustainable future.
Opened in 2015, UWC Changshu China is the first UWC in the mainland of China and the 15th in the world. The College is located on the northern shore of Kuncheng Lake in Changshu, Jiangsu Province, around 110km from Shanghai. UWC Changshu China offers a transformative and challenging educational experience in a multicultural environment. Our students come from nearly 100 countries and regions with different cultural and socio-economic backgrounds. They are competitively selected in their own countries by UWC national committees and many receive needs-based scholarships.
As an IB World School, UWC Changshu China offers a high-quality two-year International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme (DP) and a one-year Pre-DP preparatory programme for students to be better prepared for the rigorous IB Diploma Programme. On top of that, co-curricular programmes and community living provide excellent opportunities for experiential learning. Students are encouraged to live up to UWC values, such as international understanding, mutual responsibility and respect, idealism, action and personal example. Students develop intercultural understanding and the genuine concern for others through residential life and the activities focused on Chinese language and culture, youth leadership and environmental activism.