Senior Project Engineer will perform all necessary Design Engineering activities for Product Development projects. Responsible for Engineering a robustly designed, elegant, easy to clean, easy to install, easy to use, long lasting, attractive and cost effective faucets and accessories product that exceeds our customers expectations in every aspect.
1. Primary Function and Scope:
- Responsible for performing complicated Engineering assignments with a high degree of technical competence involving the creation, qualification and verification of faucets and accessories product subassemblies and assemblies.
- Executes projects by applying matured new technology platform independently.
- Effectively creates, plans, organizes and leads Engineering subtasks to meet objectives on multiple projects.
- Effectively Project Manage entire NPD effort on designated initiatives including maintainance of timelines and metrics.
- Generate, define, select, specify, optimize and implement new innovative concepts for existing or modified faucets and accessories products.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of CAD, GD&T, manufacturing process constraints, and BOM creation,
- Demonstrate a fundamental understanding of key functional design requirements of faucets and accessories products.
- Demonstrate a “whatever it takes” attitude to ensure the success of the team, Global Fauct’s business, and the NPD projects undertaken.
- Oversee and manage the creation of technical publications and labels to support all product launches.
- Create and assure robust packaging and package engineering design.
2. Supervisory Relationships:
- Receives general direction, however, exercises considerable discretion toward personal work details.
- Provides technical guidance and information to other team members as requested.
- Coordinates activities with other functional areas, remote plants, suppliers, contractors and consultants.
- Acts as a vested member of the Product Development team and a stakeholder in overall business results
- Uses speaking, writing and listening skills to effectively share information, communicate results, express opinions and motivate others to act.
- Successfully establishes and maintains positive relationships with all contacts such as co-workers, suppliers and customers in China/Asia and abroad.
5. Calculated Risk Taker:
- Makes appropriate decisions using support tools, accurate data and critical thinking.
- Can justify risk under critical review.
- Creates multiple approaches to complex problems and then applies Engineering techniques such as Design for Six Sigma, FEA and others to optimize a solution. However, must also recognize when a viable solution should be implemented quickly with minimal analysis or qualification.
- Develop and optimize robust component and product specifications (usually detailed on Engineering drawings) to meet customer, Kohler and regulatory requirements.
- Establishes priorities and action plans for multiple projects.
- Monitors and takes appropriate corrective action to achieve project objectives.
9. Qualification and Verification:
- Using FMEA and other Engineering tools, translate customer, regulatory and reliability requirements into a qualification (verification) test plan, and measure the performance of the design (tooling / process) to the requirements.
- Qualification: Proving out the design. Verification: Proving out the tooling / process.
- Assure the creation and implementation of a product quality test and audit program to assure performance is maintained throughout product life.
- Generate and / or implement original, unique and useful technical solutions to solve problems, meet current and anticipated future customer needs all while maintaining the original design intent of a product.
- Carries out technical workload of consumer innovation projects and other strategic business initiatives.
11. Change Agent / Process improvement:
- Regularly provide feedback, ideas and solutions for decreasing time to market and improving corrective actions for design problems.
12. Leadership & Mentoring:
- less experienced Engineers, contract employees, and/or students as needed.
- As needed, provide backup for business management on technical issues.
- Leads engineering best practices.
13. Core Competencies:
- Exhibit, and encourage others to exhibit behaviors and actions that: Build Trust, Drive Continuous Improvement, Focus on the End Customer and Set High Standards of Performance.
RELATIONSHIPS AND CONTACTS
1. Reports to Manager-Development Engineering or Supervisor-Product Engineering
2. May supervise technical and non technical support staff as required.
1. Daily contact with Marketing, Operations, and Purchasing to insure Project timing, design intent, and customer requirements are obtained.
2. Frequent contact with Manufacturing and Purchasing to ensure all product requirements are met. (Aesthetics, ergonomics, timing, cost, manufacturabilty, performance, etc.)
3. Occasional contact with sales, customer service and the end customer to assure understanding of product requirements.
4. Frequent work with Product Labs to communicate test requirements and monitor test progress.
5. Work with Model Shop and Prototyping to communicate prototype requirements and monitor progress.
6. Some contact with Legal with reference to patent applications, infringements, and defective product litigation.
External Business Relationships:
1. As needed, contact with suppliers / consultants to exchange information regarding component status, costs, design or timing.
2. As appropriate, attend Engineering / manufacturing trade shows and seminars to investigate new materials, products and processes.
3. As needed may have contact with end consumer and outside sales staff to assist with problem resolution/product improvement issues.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
1. Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Aeronautical Engineering or other related field from an accredited program or a Mechanical Engineering Technology degree from an accredited program or a Bachelors Degree or greater in a related program. Typically 5 years of Mechanical Project Engineering work experience. Alternately 15 years of proven ability and experience in a similar field or work environment.
2. Or Master of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Aeronautical Engineering or other related field from an accredited program. 4 years of Mechanical Project Engineering work experience.
3. Previous successful leadership of an Engineering or cross-functional Team preferred.
4. Good English communication skill.