The Manager, Product Compliance partners with Legal and other departments to ensure that all Harbor Freight Tools products meet or exceed relevant regulations and standards, across a diverse array of consumer products in one of three categories: automotive, electrical, or mechanical. The role identifies industry best practices and works closely with internal key stakeholders in Global Sourcing, Imports and Trade Compliance, Legal, Quality Assurance, Product Development, Supply Chain, Store Operations and Merchandising to develop and execute implementation plans. Leads engagement with external parties such as government entities, standards development organizations, trade associations, testing labs, certification agencies and outside counsel for assigned product categories. This role actively seeks continuous improvement opportunities to mitigate risk to the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Accomplishes department objectives by hiring, managing, coaching and developing staff and by planning and evaluating department activities.
- Support the introduction of safe and compliant new products while monitoring existing products for continued compliance and assurance of safety.
- Prevent safety incidents, reduce risk, ensure compliance with regulations and industry standards while guiding and partnering with internal and external stakeholders.
- Work with key stakeholders to ensure that all products comply with relevant voluntary standards, federal, state, local regulations and Harbor Freight Tools policies and procedures.
- For electrical products, focus includes, but is not limited to, UL standards, CEC / DoE regulations, lithium battery safety, OSHA/packaging requirements, and HazMat transportation and storage.
- For mechanical products, focus includes, but is not limited to, CPSC requirements, ANSI, ASME, and ASTM.
- For automotive products, focus includes, but is not limited to, NHTSA, FMVSS, SAE, WSTDA, and ASME PASE.
- Identify, prioritize and manage critical product compliance initiatives to minimize risks and ensure consistent regulatory compliance.
- Manage product compliance monitoring, oversee compliance control processes, and assist in definition and assessment of the ongoing compliance testing programs.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure adequate flow of information between departments. Ensure understanding and implementation of new policies and procedures across all impacted teams.
- Help develop compliance training programs and deliver specialized training as appropriate.
- Ensure accuracy of labeling and certification.
- Point of contact for internal departments and vendor partners.
- Contribute to alleged product safety investigations.
- Hands on involvement with safety and regulatory compliance tasks carried out by test and certification service providers. Demonstrated capability managing and carrying out transactional tasks.
Job Qualifications – Education and Experience
- Bachelors' Degree preferred (technical or engineering preferred).
- Exceptional written and spoken English language skills
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant experience required. Relevant management experience will be with a consumer products company, major retailer or nationally recognized testing laboratory leading programs to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and safety certifications
- Minimum of 3 years of regulatory management compliance experience in the consumer goods industry is required.
- Preferred experience with electrical, mechanical or automotive products
- Required experience with USA regulatory requirements and safety standards
- Preferred experience working with factories and test/certification labs in mainland China, throughout Asia and middle east
Job Qualifications – Skills
- Ability to translate complex regulatory information into compelling stakeholder-friendly language, including the importance of regulatory compliance. Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Will have or attain strong knowledge of laws, regulations, industry best practices, and current trends in the applicable field.
- Ability to identify compliance risks and competently advise on applicable regulatory matters.
- Experience as a strategic thinker and the ability to develop effective plans.
- Results-oriented. Ability to design and carry out strategic and operational plans.
- Dedicated to the success of the company and willing to commit to necessary hours. This is an opportunity to make a significant impact on the company’s continued successful growth.
- Excellent time management and planning skills, organized with the ability to multi-task, exceptional follow-up skills and able to meet deadlines.
- Quality Control experience is a strong plus.
- MS Office Suite
Harbor Freight Tools is one of the largest tool and hardware retailers in America with over 1100 retail stores(opening 2 new stores every week). The company has a history of growth and success over 40 years, and it continues to grow and add more stores every year.
Harbor Freight Tools has one of the best selections of brand-name tools in the U.S. with over 5,000 items. The company is dedicated to offering quality tools at highly competitive prices to our customers.
Harbor Freight Tools buys products worldwide and operates representative offices in Shanghai and Taiwan. The company values long-term vendor relationships by offering prompt and on-time payments, working together to resolve issues, and communicating frequently to create mutual success for our vendor partners and the company.
Harbor Freight Tools is committed to forming strong and long-lasting relationships with our suppliers that help us provide a great shopping experience to our customers.
Our QA Lab located in Songjiang，Shanghai is looking for motivated individual to join our team.
For more information, please visit our website: